What personal information do we collect?
We collect personal information from you:
- when you join the Avios Scheme (i.e. when you become an Avios member we will collect personal information relating to you and any other additional Avios members within your account, where you have a Household account);
- when you make bookings through or use the Avios website, or when you use the websites or loyalty programs of the partners of the Avios Scheme;
- when you enter competitions and register for promotions; and
- when you request information from Avios or make enquiries about the Avios Scheme.
We may also collect additional personal information from you on a voluntary basis through surveys and other means.
Your personal information may be collected to the extent that we monitor or record any telephone calls that you make to Avios. The collection of your personal information in this context will be for training purposes and so as to improve our customer service.
We collect the following personal information about you through your use of the Avios website and the websites of partners of the Avios Scheme:
- your collection and redemption activities as an Avios member;
- your purchases and purchase behaviour on the Avios website and on the websites of the partners of the Avios Scheme; and
- your membership of other frequent flyer or loyalty programmes linked to the Avios Scheme;
Your personal information may also be provided to Avios by other companies, including those companies within the International Airline Group ("IAG") database, who have specifically obtained your consent to share this personal information with us.
We also collect certain online information from you:
- You do not need to allow your browser to accept cookies in order to browse the Avios website or to access our services. Most browsers allow you to turn off the cookie function. If you want to know how to do this, please look at the help menu on your browser or refer to our Cookies Policy.
Collecting the information of minors
Avios does not knowingly collect any information from or engage in any transaction with persons under the age of 18 years, who do not have the consent of their parents or guardians. Avios' databases may nevertheless contain the personal information of persons under the age of 18 years if this information has been provided with the consent of the parent or guardian of a person under the age of 18 years, or if Avios has been unable to determine precisely the age of the customer.
How do we use your information?
The purposes for which your personal information (and the personal information of any additional members in your household account) may be processed by Avios include the following:
- the opening and general management of your Avios account;
- the management and administration of the Avios Scheme;
- for accounting and audit purposes, as well as system testing, development and maintenance;
- to conduct direct marketing activities (see further below);
- for customer profiling and other marketing and market research analysis and activities including data matching with partners of the Avios Scheme including International Airlines Group (IAG) and other sources who have your consent to share your personal information with us;
- to monitor and improve the service that Avios provides to you; and
- when making a booking, to perform any of the following activities: accounting, billing and audit, credit or other payment card verification, immigration and customs control, security and general administration.
By becoming an Avios member, you agree that Avios may process and disclose (where necessary for the purposes of fulfilling a travel booking) sensitive personal information such as a medical condition or dietary requirements.
What information may be disclosed to third parties?
Many airlines are required, in accordance with the laws in the United States of America and other countries, to give border control agencies access to passenger information. Accordingly, any information that Avios holds about you and your travel arrangements may be disclosed to the customs and immigration authorities of any country in your itinerary.
Avios may also process and share your personal information with third parties for security purposes and for fraud prevention and investigation –
- We may share your personal information with credit reference and fraud prevention agencies, and with the partners of the Avios Scheme, their subsidiaries, sub-contractors and/or suppliers, for use in credit decisions and for fraud detection and prevention purposes.
- If false or inaccurate information is provided to Avios and fraud is identified, your details will be provided to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may also access and use this information. Avios and other organisations may, to the extent permitted by law, also access and use your personal information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example, when: checking details on applications for credit and credit-related or other facilities; managing credit and credit-related accounts and facilities; recovering debt; checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance; or checking details of job applications and employees. Avios may access and use your personal information that has been recorded by fraud prevention agencies from other countries.
- We may also share your personal information with third parties for the purposes of debt recovery.
By becoming an Avios member, you agree that your personal information may be shared with the partners of the Avios Scheme including International Airlines Group (IAG) who may process your personal information for purposes related to the Avios Scheme (e.g. in relation to your collection and redemption activities, or your purchases and purchasing behaviour, as an Avios member).
We may also disclose your personal information to suppliers in order to fulfill your travel booking (which may also include the disclosure of your sensitive personal information, such as a medical condition or dietary requirements), and to keep you updated in relation to any amendments or cancellations that may occur on your booking. We may further disclose your details to service providers that work with Avios to process information on behalf of Avios. These companies are all contractually required to protect your personal information.
If you became an Avios member via the BP registration process and you collected your first Avios at BP, then should BP decide to exit the Scheme, upon their exit, you agree that your data will be passed to them so that they can contact you about another loyalty scheme they may be associated with.
Your personal information may also be shared with the partners of the Avios Scheme that distribute Avios so as to update you on promotions and services, specifically in relation to the Avios Scheme.
How to remove yourself from our marketing communications
If you do not wish to receive marketing communications, simply inform us by using one of the following methods:
- Log into your Avios.com account and visit the "Manage my preferences" section under "My Account". You will then be given the option to opt out of marketing communications.
- You can also click on the "unsubscribe" link in direct marketing emails from us.
- Call us on 0860 - 0 - AVIOS or 0860 - 0 - 28467 (as it translates on a key pad) or 0860 - 1 - AVIOS or 0860 - 1 - 28467
- Web chat via Avios.com.
Please note that you may still receive an Avios statement as part of your membership.
Cross-border transfers of personal information
Your personal information will be processed and managed in South Africa and in the United Kingdom by Avios Group (AGL) Ltd.
However, your personal information may also be transferred to other countries which may be subject to different laws or requirements regarding the protection of personal information. In such cases, Avios will always take steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected. These steps may include concluding appropriate agreements or requiring that appropriate technical, operational or security measures are put in place.
Avios takes reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that it collects and stores is accurate, complete and up-to-date. You can help us ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date by checking your Avios member account. Please remember that it is your responsibility to provide us with correct details as well as to update the personal information you previously provided to Avios, in the event of any changes.
Avios is a trading name of Avios Group (AGL) Ltd.